Sweet, sticky bourbon peach BBQ chicken made with a spice rub, and glazed with barbeque sauce made with fresh peaches. It's finger licking good!
One of the ways I get inspiration for recipes is from the seasons. With summer barbeque in full swing and so many fruits in season, I wanted to experiment with how I could incorporate the two.
I came across a peach chicken dish online and thought wow that looks good. I had never thought of combining the two.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
In my research, a lot of recipes use peach preserves. I went to the store and only came across one brand of peach preserves and the second ingredient was high fructose corn syrup.
I decided to pass on that and make my own peach puree by cooking down peaches with a little bit of sugar.
Can't get any better than using fresh peaches!
We're also using store bought BBQ sauce to make this recipe easy.
Then, I decided to add a splash of bourbon to add an unique flavor. Remember when I said I try to incorporate alcohol into as many foods as possible?!
I didn't measure but I would say it was about a shot of bourbon.
The spice rub on the chicken, combined with the sweet and savory glaze and the smokiness from grilling, makes this a show stopping dish.
Oh, and don't forget the grilled peaches. The heat brings out the natural sweetness and juices, and we paint them with a little BBQ sauce because it's too good not to.
Everyone is going to love you when you make this!
Chicken thighs- I like using boneless skin-on chicken thighs for flavor and faster cooking time. Feel free to use boneless with the skin off, or leave the bone in. Chicken breasts, tenders, or wings will also work. Cooking times will vary.
Bourbon- whiskey or brandy would be awesome too. The alcohol can also be omitted and you will still have a tasty sauce.
BBQ sauce- feel free to use your favorite bottled sauce or make your own BBQ sauce base. I wanted to make this recipe as easy as possible while still being delicious. Our favorite brand is Stubb's and I used the sticky sweet flavor.
Peaches- I highly recommend using fresh peaches to make the sauce while they're in season. If you can find high quality peach preserves, use them instead to save a few minutes. Frozen peaches will also work to make the puree.
Spices- adds a layer of flavor to the chicken before the glaze.
How to Make BBQ Chicken
- Coat the chicken in the spice rub mixture.
- Bring peaches and sugar to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the BBQ sauce and bourbon, and simmer for another 5 minutes. Puree the sauce with an immersion blender.
- Preheat the grill on medium high heat and grill the chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side. Then, brush BBQ sauce on the chicken and cook for 1 minute on each side. Repeat with another layer of sauce.
- Brush the peaches with BBQ sauce and grill for 1-2 minutes on each side.
What should I serve bourbon peach BBQ chicken with?
Serve this with corn, a side of greens like salad, or grilled vegetables like zucchini and asparagus.
Can I make bourbon peach BBQ chicken ahead of time?
Yes, mix the spice rub on the chicken and prepare the BBQ sauce up to 3 days in advance.
How do I store leftovers?
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze bourbon peach BBQ chicken?
Freeze the BBQ sauce and uncooked chicken with the spice rub in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I make this without a grill?
Yes, you can pan fry the chicken thighs with one tablespoon of oil on a skillet. Cook for 5 minutes on each side on medium high heat. Then, coat the chicken with BBQ sauce and broil on both sides. Repeat with a second layer of sauce.
This can also be baked at 400°F for 10 minutes skin side up and then finished off with the sauce under the the broiler.
More Chicken Dishes You'll Love
Grilled Bourbon Peach BBQ Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs boneless, skin on or off
- 3 peaches cored, quartered
Bourbon Peach BBQ Sauce
- 1 peach skin off, cored, diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup barbeque sauce
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Mix the ingredients for the spice rub and coat the chicken evenly.
- In a saucepan, bring one diced peach and sugar to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the barbeque sauce and bourbon and simmer for another 5 minutes. Puree the sauce with an immersion blender or regular blender and set aside.
- Preheat the grill on medium high heat and grill the chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side. Then, brush bourbon peach BBQ sauce on the chicken and cook for 1 minute on each side. Repeat with one more coating of bourbon peach BBQ sauce. Chicken is fully cooked when is reaches 165°F.
- While the chicken is resting, brush the remaining peaches with bourbon peach BBQ sauce and grill for 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve immediately with extra sauce on the side.