This delicious strawberry matcha latte is made with fresh strawberries, milk, and matcha green tea for an energy boost!
I love the layers in this drink! It's great for breakfast or a pick me up anytime throughout the day.
This homemade version will rival any boba café.
Ingredients & Variations
This strawberry matcha latte is made with a few simple ingredients.
- Strawberries- fresh or frozen
- Sugar- substitute the sugar for honey, maple syrup, or other sweeteners of your choice.
- High quality matcha
- Milk- I like using whole milk since its mild flavor and creaminess lets the strawberry and matcha flavors shine. Soy, almond, coconut milk, and oat milks can also work but will provide varying flavors and textures.
Additional Ideas- For some added texture, feel free to add grass jelly, chewy tapioca pearls, or diced strawberries.
How to Make Strawberry Puree
To make the strawberry purée, combine sugar with strawberries and cook for 5 minutes. Then, mash the strawberries for a chunkier puree or use an immersion blender for a smooth puree. This batch of puree is enough for three servings so you can quickly whip up a beautiful drink in a few minutes!
How to Create the Perfect Layered Drink
- The key to this drink is to add the densest layer first and pour slowly. Add the strawberry puree in the bottom of the glass. Fill ¾ of the glass with ice then pour in milk.
- Mix the matcha with water.
- Slowly pour the matcha over the ice cubes and violà, you have the perfect layered drink.
Tips to Make the Best Strawberry Matcha Latte
- Adjust the sugar based on your preference and how sweet your strawberries naturally are.
- Use high quality matcha. I used Sencha Naturals' everyday matcha.
- Mix the matcha well with a bamboo whisk, milk frother, or shake it in a jar until the clumps are dissolved.
- Layer the strawberry puree, milk, and matcha to create a dramatic effect.
What does a strawberry matcha latte taste like?
This creamy drink is sweet and slightly tangy from the strawberries, and smooth from the matcha.
What is matcha?
Matcha is made from finely ground green tea leaves and is high in antioxidants. It should be bright green and comes in culinary and ceremonial grades. Culinary grade is used for cooking and baking while ceremonial is best for drinking. Use the highest quality matcha you can find for this recipe. 1 teaspoon of Sencha contains about 50 mg of caffeine.
What does matcha taste like?
Matcha tastes smooth, slightly sweet with a touch of bitterness. It tastes earthy with some floral tones.
Can I use frozen strawberries?
The strawberry puree can be made using frozen strawberries. Add the frozen strawberries directly to the pot with the sugar and cook.
How long does the strawberry puree last?
Store the puree in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Other Drinks You'll Love
Strawberry Matcha Latte
- 8 oz strawberries diced
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon matcha
- ¼ cup water cold or room temperature
- 1 cup ice
- ½ cup whole milk
- In a saucepan on medium heat, cook the strawberries and sugar for 5 minutes. Let it cool then blend with an immersion blender or mash with a fork.
- In a glass, layer ¼ cup of strawberry puree then add the ice. Pour the milk over the ice.
- Mix water with matcha until there are no clumps.
- Pour the matcha over the ice slowly to create a gradient effect. Happy nomming!
- The strawberry puree makes ¾ of a cup and is enough for 3 servings. Store the puree in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- If you want more strawberry bits, mash the strawberries instead of blending.
- Mix matcha and water with a bamboo whisk, milk frother, hand blender, or shake in a jar.
- Double the amount of matcha for extra caffeine and a stronger matcha flavor.
Leave a Reply