Savory and spicy with a hint of sweetness, this Thai basil chicken comes together in less than 15 minutes! Serve with fluffy rice for a comforting meal.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- It's quick and easy. 15 minute dinner anyone?
- It's full of flavor. You'd think this dish was complicated considering the amount of flavors. Savory and umami flavors from the soy sauce, fish sauce, and oyster sauce. Spiciness from the Thai chilies, fragrant from the garlic and Thai basil, and a little acidity from the lime to finish it off.
- Chicken thighs- highly recommend using dark meat chicken for more flavor and juiciness. You can use chicken breast or ground chicken.
- Thai chilies- use another spicy pepper you have on hand.
- Thai basil leaves- the traditional way of making this dish is with holy basil leaves but it is difficult to find. If you're in a pinch, you can use Italian basil but the flavor will be very different.
- Dark soy sauce- can be omitted. Mostly added for color.
- Sugar- brown sugar or palm sugar works too.
Thai Basil Chicken Instructions
- Sauté the aromatics.
- Toss in the chicken.
- Add the sauce and stir fry until the sauce is reduced.
- Turn off the heat and toss in the basil.
- Use Thai holy basil if you can find it. It's more traditional.
- Turn off the heat before adding the basil. It will lose its flavor and turn black if there's too much heat.
- Serve immediately. If you're planning for leftovers or meal prep, add just enough basil for serving now and then add the basil later after the chicken is reheated.
- Serve with steamed rice and a squeeze of lime. Add cucumber and tomatoes for some additional vegetables. The saltiness pairs well with these components.
Can I use chicken breast?
You can use chicken breast but the chicken may turn out a little dry.
What does Thai basil taste like?
Thai basil has notes of anise and licorice flavors. It can be found at your local Asian grocery store.
More Easy Chicken Recipes You'll Love
More Thai Recipes
Thai Basil Chicken (Pad Krapow Gai) Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Thai chilies
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs diced
- 1 1/2 cups Thai basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large wok or skillet on high heat, add oil and sauté chilies and garlic for 10 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the sauce and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the basil until slightly wilted.
- Serve with white rice, fried eggs and lime.
- Substitute Thai basil with holy basil or Italian basil.