Savory and juicy coca cola chicken thighs. Serve over rice for a satisfying and comforting dinner in 30 minutes!
My mom made coca cola chicken wings when I was younger and I thought it was an interesting concept. Coca cola with chicken...say what?!
It's actually amazingly delicious. The coca cola creates a thick and sticky sauce that coats the chicken. You'll definitely want to serve this with rice to soak up that sauce!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- It takes 30 minutes!
- It's easy peasy! Sear the chicken, add in the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20-30 minutes!
I highly recommend adding cinnamon and star anise to this recipe as it creates an incredible depth of flavor. Ground cinnamon and star anise will also work, try ¼ teaspoon of each or to taste.
Chinese five spice powder can also be used but it has a different flavor profile. It contains cinnamon, fennel seed, Sichuan peppercorns, star anise, and cloves.
Instead of thighs, chicken wings or drumsticks also work really well. Dark meat chicken is best to ensure tender and juicy chicken.
- Sear the chicken. In a skillet on medium high heat, add oil and sear the chicken until browned on both sides. Set aside and drain out excess fat, reserving 1 tbsp. in the pan.
- Add aromatics. Add in ginger, garlic, star anise, and cinnamon, and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the sauce. Add in coca cola, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and shaoxing wine, and then add the chicken back in.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the sauce is thickened. Flip the chicken halfway through cooking. Season with salt to taste and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
What is star anise?
Star anise is a common spice in Asian cuisine. It's frequently used in savory dishes and enhances the flavor of meat. It is added to soups, stews and braised dishes for a slightly sweet and peppery flavor with hints of licorice.
You may be able to find it in the International or spice isle of your grocery store.
How long can I store leftover coca cola chicken?
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How do I reheat leftovers?
Reheat in the microwave or in a pan with ¼ cup of water. Cover and simmer until heated through.
What can I serve with coca cola chicken?
Serve with a side of rice and veggies. Check them out below!
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce
- Green Beans with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lan)
- Maple Soy Brussels Sprouts
More Easy Asian Recipes You'll Love
Braised Coca Cola Chicken Thighs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 chicken thighs bone in skin on
- ½ inch ginger sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 star anise optional
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 can coca cola
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon scallions optional
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds optional
- In a skillet on medium high heat, add oil and sear the chicken until browned on both sides. Set aside and drain out excess fat, reserving 1 tablespoon in the pan.
- Add in ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in coca cola, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and shaoxing wine, and then add the chicken back in.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until the sauce is thickened. Flip the chicken halfway through cooking.
- Skim off any excess fat and season with salt to taste. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.