Vietnamese inspired air fried lemongrass chicken wings. Crispy, savory, garlicky with a little kick. A great appetizer or meal!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Vietnamese lemongrass chicken is one of my favorite dishes. So, I decided to make them into chicken wings!
The marinade for this recipe is easy to make and very tasty!
Using the air fryer cooks the wings quickly and creates a golden and slightly crispy skin.
Then, the chicken wings are dipped in nuoc cham sauce, which is garlicky, tangy, and full of umami flavors.
You can make this in the oven or on the grill as well!
What is Lemongrass?
Lemongrass is a an herb with a...you guessed it, lemony aroma that looks like a long stalk.
This herb is common in Thai and Vietnamese cooking with hints of lemon, ginger and mint flavors.
Fresh lemongrass can be found near the herbs at major grocery stores or at Asian grocery stores. It comes in fresh, paste, and frozen forms.
I buy chopped lemongrass in the freezer section at my Asian grocery store and portion it into ice cube trays then transfer to a freezer bag for convenience.
- Combine the chicken wings with the marinade and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Mix the nuoc cham dipping sauce ingredients until the sugar dissolves and set aside.
- Air fry the wings at 400°F for 9 minutes on each side. Work in batches to create air flow for a crispy skin.
- Serve immediately with nuoc cham sauce.
Can I bake the chicken wings?
Absolutely! Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes or until the skin is crispy and the chicken is cooked through.
How do I serve lemongrass chicken wings?
Serve as is or with rice, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and cilantro. Use boneless chicken thighs instead of wings to make a rice plate!
How do I store lemongrass chicken wings?
Store the wings and sauce in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How do I reheat chicken wings?
Reheat in the oven or air fryer at 350°F for 5-10 minutes until heated through.
More Vietnamese Recipes You'll Love
Lemongrass Chicken Wings
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken wings drums and flats
Chicken Wing Marinade
- 1/4 cup lemongrass chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon bird's eye chili chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/4 cup warm water
- In a mixing bowl, mix the chicken wings with the marinade. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes or in the fridge overnight.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the nuoc cham and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Air fry the wings at 400°F for 9 minutes on each side. Cook in two or more batches depending on the size of your air fryer. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
- Oven Method: Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes or until the skin is crispy and the chicken is cooked through.
- Grill Method: Grill on medium low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer, work in batches to ensure a crispy skin.