Chicken salad made with grapes, celery, apples, red onion, pecans, and fresh basil. Full of flavors and textures. Serve on a buttery croissant, salad, tortilla, or classic sandwich bread. An easy lunch or snack that can be made ahead.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
There are so many chicken salad recipes, this is my twist on chicken salad and it's full of goodies!
You can make it with leftover rotisserie chicken, canned chicken, or fresh chicken. I like to season the chicken with salt and pepper and pan sear it in a little oil for this recipe.
You can also bake or boil fresh chicken.
This chicken salad sandwich is sweet, salty, and nutty.
The grapes and apples add a hint of sweetness to compliment the saltiness of the chicken.
The pecans add nuttiness while the red onion add a sharpness to balance the rich mayonnaise.
Then, we add basil for an herby fresh touch.
Chicken salad can be made ahead of time and tastes even better after it's had a few hours to chill in the fridge to let the flavors meld.
It's an easy lunch or snack, and great for summer gatherings or picnics.
Here are a few ingredient ideas you can substitute.
- Grapes- craisins or raisins.
- Pecans- almonds or walnuts.
- Mayonnaise- Greek yogurt or ranch dressing.
- Basil- parsley, green onion, dill, or chives.
Mix all the chicken salad ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
Spoon over croissants and enjoy!
What toppings can I serve with chicken salad sandwich?
A chicken salad sandwich doesn't need any toppings since there are so many goodies in the sandwich already. However, I like adding tomato slices, lettuce, and sometimes avocado.
How to serve chicken salad?
Chicken salad can be served on a tortilla to make a wrap, sandwich bread, or on a buttery croissant. It can also be eaten on top of crackers or a salad.
How to store chicken salad?
If you're using freshly cooked chicken, this chicken salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Croissant Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 4 croissants
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts shredded or chopped
- 1/4 cup red seedless grapes sliced
- 1/4 cup apples finely diced
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 2 tbsp celery finely diced
- 2 tbsp red onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp basil chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix all chicken salad ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Spoon over croissants. Add desired sandwich toppings like lettuce and tomatoes.