Steak, peppers, and onions are a classic combination. This Chinese takeout stir fry dish is made with tender flank steak, green bell peppers, and onions in a luscious and savory brown sauce. A quick and delicious dinner for busy days.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Quick and easy dinner! It takes 25 minutes to make with only 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Flavorful sauce! The sauce is made with a soy sauce base with sesame oil, shaoxing wine, ginger, garlic, and scallions.
- The steak is tender! We're using a technique called velveting to make the steak tender and juicy just like your favorite take out restaurant.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Green bell peppers- use a mix of bell peppers, red, yellow, or orange.
- Flank steak- sirloin or skirt steak will also work instead.
- Mix the steak with oil, baking soda, corn starch, and salt. Set aside for 15 minutes to tenderize the meat.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and blanch the peppers and onions for 3-5 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain and set aside.
- Mix the brown sauce and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet on high heat, add oil and sear the beef for 1 minute on each side. Work in batches as needed.
- Add peppers, onions, and brown sauce and bring to a boil.
- Mix corn starch with water and drizzle over the pepper steak with onions. Stir immediately and cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Place the steak in the freezer for 1 hour or until partially frozen. This will firm up the meat and make it easier to slice the steak into thin pieces.
- Slice against the grain to ensure tenderness.
- Make a batch of brown sauce to whip up a quick stir fry dinner anytime!
What is velveting?
Velveting is a technique in Chinese cooking to make lean cuts of meat tender by coating the protein in oil and corn starch. This creates a coating that seals in the moisture and protects it from the hot wok.
Some recipes include egg whites but I don't feel that it's necessary.
How do I store leftovers?
Store leftover pepper steak with onions in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
How do I reheat leftovers?
Reheat on the stove on medium heat, or microwave until heated through.
More Chinese Takeout Recipes You'll Love
Pepper Steak with Onions
- 1 pound green bell peppers chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
For the Steak
- 1 pound flank steak thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon msg optional
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon shaoxing wine
- ¼ cup water or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon scallions, white parts only thinly sliced
Corn Starch Slurry
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a bowl, mix beef, oil, baking soda, corn starch, and salt to tenderize the beef. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then add the peppers and onions. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain and set aside.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok on high heat, add 2 tbsp. oil and sear the beef for 1 minute on each side in a single layer. Cook in batches if needed.
- Toss in the peppers, onions, and brown sauce and cook for 1 minute. Mix the corn starch slurry and add to the pepper steak with onions. Stir immediately and cook for 1 minute or until the sauce is thickened.
- To easily slice the beef into thin pieces, place the flank steak in the freezer for 1 hour or until partially frozen.
- Adjust the thickness of the sauce to your liking, add a splash of water if it's too thick or more cornstarch slurry to thicken.