I'm so excited to share with you my Chinese sausage fried rice recipe. This is a quick and easy dish that is so versatile and you probably have most of the ingredients on hand.
I love making fried rice on lazy days or clean out the fridge days. It's a delicious and satisfying meal loaded with veggies and protein.
My recipe uses a bunch of sauces but you can definitely make this with just soy sauce- increase the amount to your liking. The combination of my ingredients below create a yummy umami flavor and since the sausage and sauces provide saltiness, additional salt is not necessary.
If you haven't tried Chinese sausage, I highly encourage you to! Since I don't live close to an Asian market, I usually pick up Kam Yen Jan sausage from Costco.
Chinese sausage brings back childhood memories, I remember putting a couple links in with the rice cooker and the fat from the sausage instantly flavored the rice.
3 TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THE BEST FRIED RICE
- Prep your rice.
- Rinse your rice 2-3 times to get rid of excess starch which will result in rice that is less sticky and clumpy. I place my rice in a pot and fill it with water, agitate it with my hands, let the grains settle, then pour as much water out as possible. You can also use a sieve.
- Chill your rice. Freshly steamed rice is too soft and will not stir fry well. You can make the rice a day or two ahead of time, let it cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Be creative. You don't really need a recipe to make fried rice! Use leftover rice and whatever you have on hand. It's easy to make variations with your favorite veggies, protein or make a simple egg fried rice.
- Veggie Ideas: Zucchini, broccoli, bean sprouts, peppers, corn, spinach, cabbage, string beans
- Protein Ideas: Tofu, Beef, Ham, Pork, Steak, Shrimp, Chicken, Spam
- Use a large skillet or wok. Pick a pan with a large surface area for all the ingredients to spread out. You want as much of the rice to touch the pan as possible to fry and heat up the rest of the ingredients quickly. In a smaller pan where the ingredients are layered higher, more steam is created which could result in more sticky rice.
The Best Chinese Sausage Fried Rice
- 4 cups cooked long grain or jasmine rice, chilled
- 6 Chinese sausages, sliced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas & carrots mix
- 1 tb butter
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 1 tb shaoxing wine
- 1 tb fish sauce
- 1 tb soy sauce
- 1 tb hoisin sauce
- 1 tb oyster sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tb scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- Optional: Sriracha, chili garlic sauce
- In a large sauté pan, melt 1 tb butter on medium high heat. Add eggs and cook until scrambled about 2 minutes. Transfer the eggs onto a plate and set aside.
- Add Chinese sausages and sauté on medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to brown the sausage. Add onion, garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add rice, peas & carrots, eggs and seasonings (shaoxing wine, fish sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, white pepper) and sauté for 5 minutes. Make sure to break up the rice as much as you can while sautéing. Top with scallions and enjoy!