Sausage egg and cheese breakfast burritos are the perfect on the go breakfast! Made with sausage, peppers, onions, fluffy scrambled eggs and melty cheese wrapped in warm tortillas.
Move over cereal, pancakes, and waffles! Change up your morning routine with sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast burritos!
I was introduced to breakfast burritos by my in-laws. I love burritos...so to have them for breakfast was right up my alley.
These breakfast burritos are made with pork sausage but you can definitely use beef, turkey, chicken, or vegan alternatives.
I love serving these with just cheddar cheese and salsa. Bacon, tater tots, and avocado would also be great additions.
This easy breakfast comes together in 15 minutes and is made in one skillet! They are so good you'll probably want seconds.
Ingredients & Variations
- Breakfast sausage - I use pork but turkey, beef, or vegan options are also great alternatives.
- Bell peppers - I like using a mix of green, red, yellow, and orange. Use whatever you have on hand!
- Onion - yellow or white onions will work.
- Flour tortillas - use 8 inch flour tortillas. I started making homemade tortillas and wow are they good. Store bought is great for convivence! Use corn tortillas for some extra flavor.
- Cheese - we love using cheddar cheese because it's a staple in our fridge. Pepper jack, monterey jack, or a blend would also be delicious.
- Salsa - pico de gallo, taco sauce, and Cholula hot sauces are also our favorites!
- Seasonings - chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.
The taco seasonings make these burritos BEYOND good!
How to Make Breakfast Burritos
In a large skillet on medium heat, brown the sausage for 5 minutes and crumble into small pieces as you sauté.
Add the peppers and onions and sauté for 5 more minutes.
Move the mixture to one side of the pan then add the whisked eggs. Scramble and cook the eggs then toss with sausage, peppers, and onions.
Add seasonings and water and cook for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sausage has a lot of sodium so you only need a dash of salt or none at all depending on your taste.
Assemble the burritos with cheese, sausage and salsa.
Tips to Take These Burritos to the Next Level
- Warm up the tortillas - on an open fire, microwave, or pan. This will soften the tortillas and prevent them from cracking when you roll.
- Don't overstuff the burritos - I'm guilty of this all the time as my eyes are always bigger than my stomach. As delicious as the sausage is, try not to overstuff the burritos or it may be difficult to wrap and fall apart. With 8 inch tortillas, a heaping ¼ cup of filling should be plenty.
- Assemble the burritos quickly for melty cheese - layer the cheese first then add the sausage so the heat from the mixture melts the cheese. Toasting the burritos will also help melt the cheese.
- Toast the burrito - the burritos will taste amazing as is but if you have a few extra minutes, toast both sides on a pan for a crispy texture.
Storing & Freezing
Store the burritos in the refrigerator for up to four days. Wrap the burrito with a damp paper towel and microwave until warmed through.
I haven't tried freezing these burritos, but I believe these would be freezer friendly! Wrap tightly in foil and then store in a freezer bag. Microwave from frozen or defrost in the fridge the night before. If you try freezing, let me know how it turns out!
And there you have it, easy and delicious breakfast burritos!
More Breakfast Recipes You'll Love!
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Burritos
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers diced
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas 8 inch
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Optional: Salsa, hot sauce or taco sauce
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, brown the sausage for 5 minutes and crumble into small pieces.
- Add peppers and onions and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Whisk egg with 1 tb of water. Move the sausage mixture to one side of the pan then add the eggs. Scramble and cook the eggs then toss with the sausage, peppers and onions.
- Add seasonings, ¼ cup of water and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Assemble the burritos by layering cheese, sausage mixture and desired toppings. Happy nomming!