These soy sauce glazed green beans are savory, slightly sweet, and smoky from the bacon. Topped with nutty sesame seeds and scallions for a stunning side dish for the holidays or any meal.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
The savoriness from the bacon and umami soy sauce glaze the green beans with flavor.
This saltiness is complimented by a touch of brown sugar and rice wine vinegar for acidity.
Then, we bring in some nuttiness with the sesame seeds and scallions for sharpness to brighten up the dish.
If those elements are not enough, this vegetable side dish comes together in under 30 minutes!
- Green beans- use fresh green beans for the best texture. Frozen green beans will work in a pinch.
- Bacon- I used pork bacon. You can use turkey or beef bacon as well.
- Red onion- yellow or white onion works as well.
- Brown sugar- white sugar can be substituted.
- Soy sauce- tamari, coconut aminos, oyster sauce, or salt.
- Rice wine vinegar- apple cider vinegar, lemon, or champagne vinegar.
- Scallions- parsley or chives will work.
- Sesame seeds- try chopped peanuts, pecans, walnuts, or sunflower seeds.
How to Make Soy Sauce Glazed Green Beans with Bacon
- Boil the green beans until tender.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and set aside.
- Sauté the onions.
- Add in the green beans and seasonings, then garnish.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can cook and drain the green beans ahead of time. I recommend cooking the bacon fresh so it stays crispy.
More Side Dishes You'll Love
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Chimichurri
- Green Beans with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Maple Soy Brussels Sprouts
- Grilled Balsamic Zucchini
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower
Soy Sauce Glazed Green Beans with Bacon
- 1 pound green beans trimmed
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons scallions thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds optional
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the green beans until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat a large skillet on medium heat and cook the bacon until crisp. Set the bacon aside and leave the grease in the pan.
- Add in the onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in the drained green beans, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, black pepper and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.