Tomato and egg stir fry is a classic Chinese dish that comes together in 10 minutes. Fluffy scrambled eggs tossed with tomatoes in a sweet, sour and savory sauce.
Tomato egg stir fry is one of my favorite dishes to make when I need to throw something together quickly for dinner.
This traditional Chinese dish is a staple for many households. Made with humble ingredients and so delicious!
I love seasoning with soy sauce and hoisin sauce but you can make this with just salt and sugar.
- Tomatoes- any tomato will work, preferably ripe and juicy
- Shaoxing wine- substitute with dry sherry or mirin (sweet rice wine)
- White pepper
- Soy sauce and hoisin sauce - salt and sugar can be substituted
- Oil- neutral flavored
How to Make this Recipe
- Heat a skillet with oil and scramble the eggs. Set aside.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for five minutes.
- Add white pepper, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, scallions and egg and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
Tips to Make this Dish Perfectly
- Add a splash of water into the eggs for a fluffy texture.
- Use juicy ripe tomatoes or add ¼ cup of water to the tomatoes to help create a sauce if the tomatoes don't release enough juice.
- Serve with rice to soak up the sauce.
More Asian Recipes You'll Love
Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- 1 lb tomatoes chopped
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon shaoxing wine
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- In a skillet on medium high heat, add oil and scramble the eggs just until set. About 1-2 minutes and set aside.
- Add tomatoes and stir fry for 5 minutes until soft. Add remaining ingredients and stir fry for 1-2 minutes to incorporate the seasonings. Serve over rice. Happy nomming!
- For fluffy eggs, add 1 tb water to the eggs.
- Substitute soy and hoisin sauce with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon sugar. Adjust the salt and sugar to your taste.
- If your tomatoes are on the sour side, add more sugar to balance it out.
- Add ¼ cup of water to the tomatoes if they don't release enough juice.