This easy hot jackfruit buffalo dip is the perfect appetizer for game day or parties. It's vegetarian but the texture is similar to chicken. Everyone will love this tangy, spicy and super creamy dip!
My friend Alex brought over jackfruit buffalo dip a few years ago and I was surprised at how it tasted, and how similar the texture was to chicken!
The only jackfruit I've had before then was yellow jackfruit in Asian desserts like Vietnamese Chè.
If you've never had jackfruit before, I encourage you to try yellow jackfruit to start. It's sweet and super fragrant, kinda like a combination of mango, pineapple and banana flavors.
For this recipe, we're using unripe green jackfruit which has a white flesh that tastes mild and is fairly bland. That's why it's great for this appetizer since the jackfruit is coated in cheeses, hot sauce, and ranch.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's super creamy thanks to the cream cheese, blue cheese, and cheddar.
- Its tangy and spicy but not too spicy from the hot sauce and cream cheese.
- The scallions add a sprinkle of freshness and sharpness to balance the richness of the dip.
How to Make Vegetarian Buffalo Dip without Chicken
This recipe is so quick and easy to make! If you're used to eating buffalo chicken dip, you won't miss out on the texture or flavor.
- Prepare the jackfruit: Chop off the center core of each piece of jackfruit and finely chop it. Using your fingers, pull the flesh of the jackfruit until it has a shredded texture.
- Mix the sauce: Start by mixing the cream cheese with hot sauce and ranch dressing. A whisk and softened cream cheese will make it easier to incorporate.
- Toss in the jackfruit and cheeses: Mix in the jackfruit and half of the blue cheese and cheddar cheese then transfer it to a baking dish and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake: At 350°F for 20 minutes until it's nice and bubbly and serve with cut vegetables and crackers!
- Use young green jackfruit. Make sure you are using green jackfruit, not yellow jackfruit in syrup.
- Squeeze out the excess brine so the dip stays thick and creamy.
- Soften the cream cheese. Leave it on the counter for 1 hour or microwave the block for 30 seconds to quickly soften. This will make it easier to mix.
You can find young green jackfruit at your local Asian grocery store or online. I have seen it at Trader Joe's and you may be able to find it in the international aisle of a major supermarket.
Green jackfruit is neutral in flavor and has a meat like texture.
Celery, carrots, peppers, cucumbers, pita chips, tortilla chips, crackers, and bread are all delicious!
Store leftovers in the fridge covered for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
Definitely! Make this up to 2 days in advance and bake when ready to serve.
More Appetizers You'll Love
More Vegetarian Recipes You'll Love
Creamy Vegetarian Jackfruit Buffalo Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup Frank's RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 20 ounces canned young green jackfruit in brine drained, squeezed dry, shredded
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles divided
- ½ cup cheddar cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon scallions thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, hot sauce, and ranch dressing.
- Fold in jackfruit and ¼ cup each of blue cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to a 8.5"'x6.5" baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the dip is bubbly and cheese is melted. Garnish with scallions and serve with carrots, celery, crackers, or chips.